Mark Carney

U.S.-Canada Trade Deal Collapses, Triggering 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods

A trade agreement between the United States and Canada collapsed just before midnight Friday, dealing a major setback to negotiations between the two traditionally close trading partners and triggering 50% U.S. tariffs on roughly $20 billion worth of Canadian goods.

The tariffs took effect after Canadian and U.S. negotiators failed to finalize an agreement that had appeared within reach earlier in the week. The duties are expected to affect a range of Canadian products, including alcohol, hockey equipment and other goods.

U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said Canada backed away from terms that had been negotiated in recent days.

“Canada declined to finalize the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week,” Greer told reporters Friday night. He said new Canadian demands and changes to other commitments had “upended the careful balance” reached during negotiations.

“This is a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the U.S.,” Greer said.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney offered a sharply different account, saying last-minute changes to the U.S. proposal made the agreement unacceptable.

“Last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal,” Carney said in a statement.

He said Canada would suspend negotiations and recalled the country’s trade negotiators to Ottawa. Carney also said Canada would match the new U.S. tariffs “dollar for dollar.”

Deal appeared close earlier this week

The breakdown came after days of intensive negotiations between Greer and Canadian Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc, along with multiple conversations between President Donald Trump and Carney.

The talks appeared to reach a breakthrough Tuesday when Trump announced a three-day pause on the 50% tariffs that had been scheduled to take effect Aug. 19.

“Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL!” Trump wrote on social media at the time.

The proposed agreement would have reduced some U.S. tariffs on Canadian automobiles, steel and aluminum in exchange for Canadian concessions on retaliatory tariffs and greater access for U.S. companies to Canada’s dairy and lumber markets.

Greer said the administration also offered to begin formal negotiations with Canada over the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA, which governs much of North American trade.

The agreement is currently undergoing a scheduled six-year review. The Trump administration began formal discussions with Mexico earlier this summer but had not yet included Canada in the negotiations.

Greer did not identify the specific disagreements that ultimately caused the deal to collapse.

Tariff fight threatens North American supply chains

The failure of the agreement creates additional uncertainty for companies that operate across the U.S.-Canada border.

The two countries have deeply integrated economies, with manufacturers and suppliers relying on cross-border trade for everything from automobile components to agricultural products.

Businesses were already concerned about the Trump administration’s decision not to automatically extend the USMCA when the agreement came up for review in July.

The latest tariff escalation raises the prospect of prolonged tit-for-tat trade measures at a time when inflation and affordability remain major concerns for voters ahead of the 2026 midterm elections.

Candace Laing, president and CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, warned that the tariffs could hurt businesses and consumers on both sides of the border.

“This will be a body blow to North American competitiveness in this self-defeating trade saga,” Laing said. “A whopping, non-absorbable tariff is not sustainable or viable for business.”

Laing said the consequences would extend beyond Canadian companies.

“Americans will see their costs go up, and Canadians will see customers, investment and small businesses disappear,” she said.

Auto industry faces new pressure

The automotive industry is particularly exposed to disruptions in U.S.-Canada trade because vehicle manufacturing depends heavily on cross-border supply chains.

Jennifer Safavian, president and CEO of Autos Drive America, said the industry was disappointed that negotiators failed to reach an agreement.

“The negative impact is already being felt with U.S. auto exports to Canada down 23% over the past year,” Safavian said.

Autos Drive America represents international automakers with U.S. operations, including Honda, Toyota and Volvo.

“The U.S. auto industry’s continued success relies upon strong and stable partnerships across North America,” Safavian said, urging the two governments to continue negotiations.

A new round of trade uncertainty

The collapse marks another escalation in Trump’s broader effort to use tariffs as leverage in trade negotiations.

For Canada, the immediate response is a commitment to retaliate against the new U.S. duties. That could expose companies and consumers in both countries to additional costs as the dispute spreads through interconnected industries.

For businesses, the central concern now is how long the tariffs will remain in place and whether Washington and Ottawa can return to negotiations before the trade dispute causes deeper disruptions.

The collapse also leaves the future of the USMCA review uncertain, adding another layer of instability to a trade relationship worth hundreds of billions of dollars annually.

Rather than delivering the interim agreement Trump announced earlier this week, the latest negotiations have instead pushed the United States and Canada into a renewed cycle of tariffs, retaliation and uncertainty.

About J. Williams

Check Also

money

U.S. National Debt Tops $40 Trillion as Spending Outpaces Revenue

The U.S. national debt surpassed $40 trillion on Wednesday, reaching another record level as the …

Leave a Reply