President Donald Trump said Monday that he is delaying a planned U.S. military strike on Iran because “serious negotiations” are underway to potentially prevent the war from escalating further.
In a social media post, Trump revealed for the first time that a military assault on Iran had been scheduled for Tuesday, but said he decided to pause the operation after appeals from allies in the Middle East.
“I have instructed the United States Military to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached,” Trump wrote.
The announcement came after days of escalating rhetoric from the president, who warned over the weekend that Iran was running out of time to reach an agreement with the United States. Trump had previously described the fragile ceasefire between the two countries as being on “life support.”
The war between the U.S. and Iran began in late February after coordinated military action involving the United States and Israel. Although a ceasefire was reached in mid-April, tensions have remained high, particularly around the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global shipping route.
Trump said leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates urged him to hold off on military action to allow diplomatic efforts to continue.
The president has repeatedly shifted deadlines and demands during the conflict. Earlier in the war, Trump indicated he would give negotiations more time before later authorizing strikes. Monday’s announcement follows a similar pattern of signaling openness to diplomacy while maintaining the threat of military escalation.
Trump has also recently spoken with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Chinese President Xi Jinping about the conflict and ongoing negotiations.
Financial markets reacted quickly to the president’s statement. Oil prices, which had surged amid fears of prolonged instability in the Strait of Hormuz, dropped sharply after Trump’s announcement.
Petroleum futures fell by more than $2 per barrel within minutes of the post, easing from roughly $108.83 to around $106 a barrel as investors responded to the prospect of renewed diplomacy.
Iranian state media mocked Trump’s decision, characterizing the pause as a “retreat” driven by “fear.” Iranian television also reported Monday that defense systems had been activated on Qeshm Island near the Strait of Hormuz, though officials insisted the situation remained under control.
Turkey’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said Monday that keeping the Strait of Hormuz open remains the immediate focus of talks between the U.S. and Iran, although Tehran’s nuclear program continues to be a central issue.
Speaking in Berlin alongside German officials, Fidan said some of Iran’s enriched uranium stockpile is believed to be buried beneath collapsed tunnels following U.S. and Israeli attacks earlier this summer.
Iran has maintained that its nuclear program is intended for peaceful purposes. According to reports, Tehran recently offered limited nuclear concessions as part of a proposal to end the war, though Trump reportedly dismissed the offer as “garbage.”
The administration has not indicated how long negotiations may continue before military action is reconsidered.
Poli Alert Politics & Civics