President Joe Biden, on Saturday, warned that another terror attack at Kabul airport in Afghanistan is “highly likely in the next 24-36 hours”.
The President said he vowed to “hunt down any person involved” in Thursday’s “heinous attack,” which killed 13 US troops and “make them pay.”
Biden: “To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm, know this: we will not forgive. We will not forget. We will hunt you down and make you pay.” pic.twitter.com/lRBx8ECyTU
— Poli Alert (@polialertcom) August 26, 2021
Speaking after the Pentagon confirmed that two “high-profile” members of the terrorist group ISIS-K had been killed in an airstrike, Biden said more attacks are likely.
“The situation on the ground continues to be extremely dangerous, and the threat of terrorist attacks on the airport remains high.
“Our commanders informed me that an attack is highly likely in the next 24-36 hours.”
“I directed them to take every possible measure to prioritize force protection, and ensured that they have all the authorities, resources and plans to protect our men and women on the ground.”
“They assured me that they did and that they could take these measures while completing the mission and safely retrograding our personnel.”
Biden said the airstrike that killed two ISIS-K suspects in Afghanistan in retaliation for an attack outside Kabul airport on Thursday “was not the last.”
That attack, which the Pentagon now says was carried out by a lone suicide bomber, killed 13 U.S. troops and at least 79 Afghans.
More than 150 people were injured in the attack outside Hamid Karzai International Airport, including 18 US service personnel.
ISIS-K, the Afghan affiliate of the Islamic State, claimed responsibility for the attack.
Late Friday night, the U.S. conducted an airstrike with an unmanned drone against “two high-profile” ISIS-K targets in Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province in retaliation for the airport attack.
The Defense Department said that both targets were killed in the strike, and another was injured.
“I said we would go after the group responsible for the attack on our troops and innocent civilians in Kabul, and we have,” said the President.
“This strike was not the last. We will continue to hunt down any person involved in that heinous attack and make them pay.
“Whenever anyone seeks to harm the United States or attack our troops, we will respond.”