Secret Service at White House

Secret Service Kills Gunman Near White House After Exchange of Fire

The United States Secret Service fatally shot a man Saturday evening after he allegedly opened fire on officers at a security checkpoint near the White House, prompting a temporary lockdown of the White House complex and a large law enforcement response.

The shooting occurred shortly after 6 p.m. near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, according to a statement from the Secret Service. Officials said a man approached the checkpoint, removed a firearm from a bag and began shooting at officers.

Secret Service personnel returned fire, striking the suspect, who was transported to a nearby hospital and later pronounced dead.

Authorities identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best, according to multiple senior law enforcement officials briefed on the matter.

A bystander was also struck during the exchange of gunfire, though authorities said it remains unclear whose bullet caused the injury. The person’s condition has not been publicly released.

Officials said Best had prior interactions with law enforcement and a documented history of mental health concerns.

Court records filed in the Superior Court for the District of Columbia show Best was arrested July 10 on an unlawful entry charge after entering a restricted area near the White House. According to the filing, Best told authorities during that incident that he was Jesus Christ and wanted to be arrested.

The records also state that Best had previously approached security posts around the White House complex asking how to gain access to the grounds.

In June, he was involuntarily committed after allegedly obstructing vehicle access to the White House complex, court records show.

A motive for Saturday’s shooting was not immediately known.

President Donald Trump was at the White House during the incident but was not harmed, according to officials. No Secret Service agents were injured.

In a post on Truth Social early Sunday, Trump thanked law enforcement officers involved in stopping the gunman and renewed his calls for expanding security around the White House complex, referencing his proposed ballroom project.

Reporters gathered on the North Lawn said they heard between 20 and 30 gunshots around 6:04 p.m. Secret Service agents immediately ordered journalists into the White House press briefing room as the complex entered lockdown.

Armed agents stood guard outside the briefing room while the lockdown remained in effect. Restrictions were lifted around 6:46 p.m.

Kash Patel said on X that the Federal Bureau of Investigation was assisting the Secret Service in the investigation. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Metropolitan Police Department are also involved.

Vice President JD Vance had been at the White House earlier Saturday, though officials did not immediately confirm whether he remained on-site at the time of the shooting.

The incident unfolded along Pennsylvania Avenue’s pedestrian plaza near the north side of the White House, an area that had partially reopened to the public only days earlier following a monthslong closure.

About J. Williams

Check Also

Tulsi Gabbard

Tulsi Gabbard Resigns as Trump’s Intelligence Chief

Tulsi Gabbard announced Friday that she is resigning as President Donald Trump’s director of national …

Leave a Reply