Former President Donald Trump is said to be serious about launching a new social media platform to compete with the social networks that banned him earlier this year.
“I’m doing things having to do with putting our own platform out there that you’ll be hearing about soon,” Trump told Fox News contributor Lisa Boothe on her podcast, “The Truth,” Monday.
Trump senior adviser Jason Miller told “Fox News Sunday” the platform would be up and running within “probably two to three months.”
“This is something that I think will be the hottest ticket in social media,” Miller said. “It’s going to completely redefine the game, and everybody is going to be waiting and watching to see what exactly President Trump does.”
According to Miller, Trump has been holding “high-powered meetings” at Mar-a-Lago, and many companies have approached the former president about working with him. He did not specify whether Trump’s aim is to start an independent social media company or partner with existing ones.
Trump first teased his plan to launch a new social media platform in January hours after Twitter banned him, posting a series of tweets to the @POTUS and @TeamTrump accounts that were quickly deleted. He accused Twitter of conspiring with “Democrats and the Radical Left” and said he was looking at the possibility of creating a new platform.
“We will not be SILENCED!” Trump wrote in January, threatening social media sites’ legal protections and promising a “big announcement soon.”
Trump returns, on the @POTUS account, and says he is looking "at the possibilities of building out our own platform in the near future." pic.twitter.com/AhbICQ82OM
— Josh Wingrove (@josh_wingrove) January 9, 2021