Trump Reverses Pentagon Weapons Pause to Ukraine After Hegseth Acts Without White House Approval

President Donald Trump overruled a surprise pause in U.S. weapons shipments to Ukraine this week after learning that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had authorized the move without informing the White House, according to five sources familiar with the matter.

The unexpected halt — the second such action by Hegseth this year — ignited a flurry of confusion inside the Trump administration, with top officials, including Secretary of State Marco Rubio and U.S. Special Envoy Ret. Gen. Keith Kellogg, caught off guard and learning of the decision through media reports.

Trump distanced himself from the move on Tuesday, telling reporters, “I don’t know, why don’t you tell me?” when asked who approved the pause. He added the U.S. would continue supplying defensive weapons to Ukraine.


Weapons Shipments Temporarily Paused Without Notification

The pause, implemented late last week, affected deliveries of Patriot interceptor missiles and artillery munitions — vital to Ukraine’s air defenses against Russian attacks. The shipments were already staged in Poland and en route when stopped.

Trump ordered some deliveries resumed — particularly the Patriot missiles — after being briefed, and the Pentagon confirmed late Monday night that shipments would continue at the president’s direction.

“Whether you think it’s unfair that we gave all that money or not, they were very brave,” Trump said Tuesday, referring to Ukrainian operators of U.S. military systems. “Somebody had to run that stuff.”


Internal Miscommunication Highlights Policy Disconnect

The Pentagon’s decision originated with Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Elbridge Colby, a long-time critic of high-volume Ukraine aid. Colby, who has advocated for an “Asia-first” policy, reportedly persuaded Deputy Defense Secretary Steve Feinberg, who then brought the recommendation to Hegseth.

“A Europe first policy is not what America needs,” Colby wrote in 2024. “We need to focus on China and Asia — clearly.”

Sources say Trump never instructed a halt, but had asked Hegseth to review U.S. stockpiles after rising tensions in the Middle East raised concerns about readiness.

“Secretary Hegseth provided a framework for the President to evaluate military aid shipments,” said Pentagon press secretary Kingsley Wilson.

But administration officials said Hegseth lacked key staff to help coordinate such decisions, a factor in the repeated communication breakdowns. His previous February halt was also reversed shortly after it blindsided senior national security officials.


No Evidence of Critical Stockpile Shortages, Congress Says

Congressional leaders were not informed of the pause either. Pentagon officials later claimed stockpile shortagesprompted the decision — but lawmakers say no urgent requests for supplemental munitions have been submitted.

“Congress would be glad to work with DoD if credible evidence was presented,” a congressional aide told CNN. “But there have been no new urgent requirements submitted for any of these munitions.”


White House Reaction: Supportive in Public, Frustrated in Private

The White House publicly backed Hegseth, with press secretary Karoline Leavitt saying the president “has full confidence” in him, while noting that the review was part of ensuring aid “aligns with America’s interests.”

But privately, two sources said the White House scrambled to contain the fallout and told Hegseth he would need to explain the move to Congress and allies.

A European official present at the recent NATO summit in the Netherlands said it was clear that Trump’s frustrations with Russian President Vladimir Putin are growing, and that the pause did not originate with Trump.

“We get a lot of bulls**t thrown at us by Putin,” Trump said Tuesday. “It’s very nice all the time, but it turns out to be meaningless.”


Looking Ahead

The episode underscores continued volatility in U.S. foreign policy decision-making, even as Trump insists on an “America First” doctrine. While Hegseth may have believed he was acting in line with Trump’s priorities, the lack of coordination exposed deep rifts between the White House and the Pentagon.

Though the resumed shipments may ease tensions with Kyiv and NATO allies, questions remain about future U.S. commitment to Ukraine — and whether Trump’s inner circle can maintain a united front amid growing strategic complexity.

“This isn’t just about weapons,” one official said. “It’s about whether we can function with any predictability at all.”

About J. Williams

Check Also

James Yokeley

North Carolina Elections Official Arrested; Accused of Spiking Granddaughter’s Ice Cream with Drugs

A state-appointed elections official in North Carolina has resigned after being arrested and accused of …

Leave a Reply