Dominion Voting Systems has sued Fox News for defamation, alleging that the network spread misleading allegations that the voting machine corporation was involved in voter fraud during the 2020 presidential election.
The complaint filed Friday in Delaware claims that “Fox sold a false story of election fraud to serve its own commercial purposes, severely injuring Dominion in the process.” It said, “If this case does not rise to the level of defamation by a broadcaster, then nothing does.”
“Fox endorsed, repeated, and broadcast a series of verifiably false yet devastating lies about Dominion,” the complaint states.
Fox News said Friday morning in a statement that it “is proud of our 2020 election coverage, which stands in the highest tradition of American journalism, and will vigorously defend against this baseless lawsuit in court..”
According to Dominion, some of its staff have been harassed and even threatened with death due to Fox News’s allegations.
Dominion is suing for at least $1.6 billion in lost earnings and enterprise value, as well as more than $1 million in protection and misinformation costs. A jury trial is requested in the company’s lawsuit.
Dominion has also sued Trump supporter and MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell. They have also filed suit against Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell, attorneys who collaborated with Trump on his post-election flurry of legal actions, for defamation. The corporation is suing each of them for $1.3 billion in damages.
Another voting company, Smartmatic, filed a $2.7 billion lawsuit against Fox last month, naming Lou Dobbs, Maria Bartiromo,and Jeanine Pirro as defendants.
Fox News has filed appeals to get the Smartmatic case dismissed. However, shortly after Smartmatic filed its case, the network canceled Lou Dobbs’ Tonight show.